Homes evacuated after natural gas leak in Olathe neighborhood - KCTV5

Homes evacuated after natural gas leak in Olathe neighborhood

Posted: Updated:
OLATHE, KS (KCTV) -

Three homes were evacuated Wednesday after natural gas leak and fire in the basement of a one of the houses.

The fire happened just after 6:30 a.m. Wednesday at a home in the 1700 block of West Normandy Drive, which is a neighborhood south of 135th Street and east of South Hedges Lane.

The call initially came in to the Olathe Fire Department as a gas odor. However, when firefighters arrived on the scene they discovered a fire near the hot water heater and the furnace.

The fire was quickly put out, but damage was estimated about $5,000.  No injuries were reported.

The fire department did shut the gas off to the home because there was an odor.  The gas company is investigating the leak.

Copyright 2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.)  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.