Neighbors in a Kansas City, KS neighborhood helped a man escape his burning home Monday evening.
The fire started at about 5:40 p.m. inside a home near 8th and Lyons.
Upon arrival, KCK firefighters said they were met by neighbors who were assisting an elderly resident from the front of the home.
That victim suffered smoke inhalation and was taken by ambulance to an area hospital for treatment.
Investigators believe the victim, who was on oxygen at the time, may have sparked the fire while smoking a cigarette.
A total of three adults and two children lived at the home. Only the victim was home at the time of the fire.
Estimated damage to the house and the contents inside the home was set at $32,000.
Copyright 2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.