Firefighters battling fire at Lawrence apartment complex - KCTV5

UPDATE

Unattended cooking to blame for blaze at Lawrence apartment complex

Posted: Updated:
LAWRENCE, KS (KCTV) -

An accidental fire from unattended cooking is to blame for a two-alarm fire at an apartment complex, firefighters said.

The damages were estimated at about $175,000.

The fire was reported about 7:50 a.m. Tuesday at Southpointe Park Villas in the 2200 block of West 26th Street, a block west of the intersection of 26th and Iowa streets.

Firefighters said they received a report of a kitchen fire inside a second-floor apartment. When crews arrived, smoke and flames could be seen coming from the building.

Crews quickly decided to battle the fire defensively from the outside and extinguished the fire in about 30 minutes after arriving on the scene.

One person was reportedly treated and released at the scene.

The Red Cross assisted 10 people from six families with food, clothing and lodging after the fire.

KCTV5's DeAnn Smith contributed to this report.

Copyright 2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.)  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.