A 16-year-old Shawnee teen was electrocuted while working on his computer.
The teen was discovered dead in his home on Aug. 16. An autopsy was performed, which revealed the teen had suffered an electrical burn after he accessed the power supply area of the computer.
Further investigation revealed that the teen was working on a family computer, which was unplugged at the time, police said. Authorities believe the teen was stripping an older computer for parts.
Authorities said the boy was proficient with computers, but his death underscores the dangers of working on computers if you aren't trained to do so. Police stressed this should be left to the professionals.
Shawnee police said too many don't realize that computers carry a charge in them even when they are unplugged and broken. They urge everyone not to strip an old computer to build a new one.
"There's a real danger if you don't know what you are doing," said Shawnee Capt. Dan Tennis.
Dave Bradshaw, head technician for Skyline Computers, said too frequently people are shocked while working on computers and other electronics.
"Older-style TVs with the big tubes, there's been a lot of people electrocuted by those," Bradshaw said. "They store a huge charge in them to get the TV tube to fire up."
Microwaves, laptops, gaming consoles and other electronics have power storage areas that can shock people even when unplugged.
Bradshaw said generally the electronics have strong warnings not to remove the cover and have the device serviced by an expert.
"Too many things are inside that can actually get you hurt," Bradshaw said. "There's some ways that you can get shocked with any electrical device. But if you don't have any basic training, it makes no sense to go inside and do it."
Power storage boxes are inexpensive to replace, Bradshaw said.
"Why tear into it to replace it for $20? You're taking your life into your own hands," he said, adding it's a risk even he with all his experience won't take.
The manufacturer of the power supply has not been identified.
Copyright2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Wednesday, May 22 2013 6:04 PM EDT2013-05-22 22:04:40 GMT
MISSOURI CITY, TX (KPRC/CNN) - When a pregnant teacher in Texas collapsed, her coworkers rushed to help. The woman technically died, gave birth, and then was brought back to life. Erica Nigrelli, an EnglishMore >
A pregnant woman's heart stopped, and doctors performed an emergency c-section to rescue the baby and save the woman.More >
By Michael Martinez, CNN updated 3:23 PM EDT, Wed May 22, 2013STORY HIGHLIGHTSTerimy Miller puts her three small sons in the house closet as the tornado nearsBut she gets a feeling: "I just got toMore >
Wednesday, May 22 2013 6:13 PM EDT2013-05-22 22:13:31 GMT
Residents of a southern Overland Park neighborhood had feared a vicious killer was on the loose after a jogger was found dead, but his death has been ruled a suicide.Raheel Morani, 24, slashed his ownMore >
Residents of a southern Overland Park neighborhood had feared a vicious killer was on the loose after a jogger was found dead, but his death has been ruled a suicide.More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 11:55 AM EDT2013-05-23 15:55:08 GMT
(RNN) - Dozens of Cleveland restaurants have pledged to give the man who rescued three Ohio women from captivity, free burgers for life. Charles Ramsey, the guy who famously stopped eating his Big MacMore >
More than a dozen of Cleveland restaurants have pledged to give the man who rescued three Ohio women from captivity, free burgers for life.More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 9:09 AM EDT2013-05-23 13:09:22 GMT
It has been a difficult and long road to recovery for an 11-year-old victim of a hit-and-run. The girl's mother is making another plea to that driver to turn herself in. No one needs any medical trainingMore >
It has been a difficult and long road to recovery for an 11-year-old victim of a hit-and-run. The girl's mother is making another plea to the driver responsible to turn herself in.More >
Monday, May 20 2013 7:51 PM EDT2013-05-20 23:51:52 GMT
DONIPHAN, AR (KAIT) – A search effort is underway in Southeast Missouri. The Hartland Pit Stop in Doniphan apparently sold a $1 million Powerball ticket this past weekend, but the winner has yet to comeMore >
A Southeast Missouri woman wrapped up a big week by taking home a piece of the record $600 million Powerball jackpot. More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 11:43 AM EDT2013-05-23 15:43:24 GMT
Fallen officer's daughter graduates from kindergarten
Hundreds of Phoenix police officers showed their support for a fallen colleague by attending his daughter's kindergarten graduation in Anthem on Wednesday. Officer Daryl Raetz was killed in the lineMore >
Tatum Raetz, 5, graduated from kindergarten in Anthem Wednesday and hundreds of uniformed Phoenix police officers were there to show their support for the family.More >