Family spreads word about fire safety 1 year after girl's death - KCTV5

Family spreads word about fire safety 1 year after girl's death

Posted: Updated:
OVERLAND PARK, KS (KCTV) -

Family and friends of an 8-year-old girl killed in a fire launched purple balloons in her memory.

One year ago, Taylor Jackson died when a fire broke out at a friend's house where she was staying the night.  The house did not have working smoke detectors.

According to fire investigators, the smoke alarm in the residence had been disabled a week before the fire. The resident was in the process of replacing the alarm but had not yet completed the replacement when the tragedy occurred.

Rescuers began a search of the residence and located Taylor in a second-story bedroom and carried her from the duplex. She was rushed to an area hospital where she later died.

"We're trying to start a campaign called Taylor Your Home for Safety, and get the word out there to make sure there are smoke detectors," Taylor's mother, Terri Jackson, said.

Girl Scouts from Taylor's troop and family will be at a fire station at West 124th and Hemlock streets Saturday to help promote fire safety.

Taylor was a third-grader at Apache Elementary School in the Shawnee Mission School District.

Authorities say people should call their local fire department if they have any questions about where to place smoke detectors.

Click here to read previous coverage.

Copyright 2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.)  All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 2 dead, one hurt after incident in Kensington Park in KCK

    2 dead, one hurt after incident in Kensington Park in KCK

    Wednesday, September 20 2017 10:05 PM EDT2017-09-21 02:05:16 GMT
    (KCTV5)(KCTV5)

    Two people were found dead in the parking lot of Kensington Park in KCK. 

    More >

    Two people were found dead in the parking lot of Kensington Park in KCK. 

    More >
  • Man shot, hospitalized when sale goes bad in Shawnee

    Man shot, hospitalized when sale goes bad in Shawnee

    Thursday, September 21 2017 6:50 AM EDT2017-09-21 10:50:23 GMT
    It happened about 12:30 a.m. at the Arbor Square Apartments, located at 7613 Flint Street. (KCTV5)It happened about 12:30 a.m. at the Arbor Square Apartments, located at 7613 Flint Street. (KCTV5)

    A man was rushed to the hospital after attempting to sell an item went wrong early Thursday morning. It happened before 2:55 a.m. at the Arbor Square Apartments, located at 7613 Flint Street.

    More >

    A man was rushed to the hospital after attempting to sell an item went wrong early Thursday morning. It happened before 2:55 a.m. at the Arbor Square Apartments, located at 7613 Flint Street.

    More >
  • Young girl hospitalized by 105 mph foul at Yankee Stadium

    Young girl hospitalized by 105 mph foul at Yankee Stadium

    Thursday, September 21 2017 1:31 PM EDT2017-09-21 17:31:02 GMT

    A young girl at Yankee Stadium was injured by a foul ball off the bat of Todd Frazier during a game against Minnesota, leading some New York players to call for protective netting to be extended.

    More >

    A young girl at Yankee Stadium was injured by a foul ball off the bat of Todd Frazier during a game against Minnesota, leading some New York players to call for protective netting to be extended.

    More >
Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.