A 6-year-old Kansas City girl is in Cincinnati, OH, for specialized burn care after her hair caught fire in a freak accident.
Many might use hair products and some of those products could be highly flammable. One mother believes that is what caused her 6-year-old daughter's hair to catch on fire.
It was shortly before 10 p.m. Monday when her family heard her screaming from inside their home at 32nd and Chestnut streets. The girl's mom had done her hair inside the home and then went outside to show off her hairdo. Then the little one went back inside on her own.
Soon after, the 6-year-old's screaming sent the adults scrambling into the kitchen. The images of flames covering her daughter's face still linger in Yolanda Bailey's mind.
"It can happen in one second and everything is changed. I just want you all to be careful," Bailey said.
Her daughter, Tah'Mai Gorman, walked down the hall and into the kitchen with her long hair flowing. The gas stove in the kitchen was on and when little Tah'Mai, who is the same height as the stove, walked by, her hair caught on fire. Her mother thinks the only product that she put on her daughter's hair, a petroleum-type moisturizer, caused it to go up in flames so quickly.
"It's touch and go. I just want to let others out there know - watch out for the chemicals that you use on your child's hair. Some of it's highly flammable and most products don't even have it on the label," Bailey said.
Tah'Mai's father and his friend were there and tried to put out the flames. Both suffered burns to their hands and arms. But Tah'Mai's burns were much worse, covering most of her upper body.
"My baby has third- and fourth-degree burns on her face and her neck, back and arms," Bailey said.
Her mother knows Tah'Mia is a fighter - she is the oldest of four brothers and sisters. An air ambulance flew her from Children's Mercy Hospital to the burn care center at Shriner's Hospital for Children in Cincinnati Wednesday morning.
Bailey will soon leave to join her daughter.
"Watch your children because this is very, very hard to deal with," Bailey said.
KCTV5 contacted the maker of the moisturizer and have not heard from them. There was not a flammable warning on the label. KCTV5 did however find two lawsuits filed against the maker of the product for similar incidents.
Copyright 2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Wednesday, July 30 2014 7:45 AM EDT2014-07-30 11:45:17 GMT
It's not a disease and it's not contagious, but "Invisible Black Dog Syndrome" is a sad, real condition affecting local animal shelters. The term refers to the propensity of would-be-adopters walkingMore >
It's not a disease and it's not contagious, but "Invisible Black Dog Syndrome" is a sad, real condition affecting animal shelters. More >
Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:50 AM EDT2014-07-29 09:50:38 GMT
Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.More >
Listeria is listed on the the baby's death certificate as an immediate cause of her death. Her mother, says that while she was pregnant, she ate food that was part of a recent, nation-wide Listeria recall.More >
Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:55 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:55:24 GMT
A 24-year-old man has been charged in connection with the June 14 shooting that killed Christopher Mondaine in a parking lot near Sixth Street and Grand Avenue.More >
A 24-year-old man has been charged in connection with the June 14 shooting that killed Christopher Mondaine in a parking lot near Sixth Street and Grand Avenue, Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker announced Tuesday.More >
Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:09 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:09:00 GMT
KU and Washburn University among five more schools added to the list of colleges and universities under scrutiny for how they handled investigations into sexual assaults.More >
The University of Kansas and Washburn University are joining a list that college officials won't be bragging about. They are among five more schools added to the list of colleges and universities under investigation for how they handled investigations into sexual assaults.More >