2 C flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 C sugar
1 stick (4 oz.) cold butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/3 C heavy cream (plus a little extra for glazing)
1 tsp vanilla
Orange zest of a large orange (use 2 if you like a lot of orange flavor)
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF (375ºF if using convection oven).
2. In a large bowl sift together then whisk flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3. Grate cold butter into flour mixture, tossing as you go to fully coat the butter with the dry mixture, then cut everything together with a pastry blender or two knives (held together in one hand).
4. Add chocolate chips and blend together with a fork, then put dry mixture in fridge.
5. In a separate bowl combine eggs, heavy cream and vanilla.
6. Grate off the orange zest - not the white pith - using a Microplane or fine regular grater, and add to egg mixture, then beat well.
7. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in egg mixture, then blend together with a fork.
8. Knead lightly in the bowl until just combined, then form into a ball.
9. Place dough on a lightly floured surface, sprinkle a little more flour over it, then form into a circle and flatten to ¾" thick.
10. Cut into 8 wedges and place at least 1" apart on lightly greased baking sheet (if using a silicone baking mat, don't grease).
11. Lightly brush tops with heavy cream.
12. Optional - garnish with a sprinkle of sugar, curls of orange zest (use a cocktail citrus zester), or if you want to go extra fancy press into the wet surface a very thin slice of orange.
13. Bake until tops are golden brown, 10-15 minutes (depending on how big they are and how your oven cooks) - rotate tray 180º halfway through baking time. The scones should be slightly springy when you press them with a finger. If they "give" too much, they might be under done. If in doubt, test with a toothpick (it should come out dry). Do not overcook.
14. If eating immediately let scones cool on the tray for a couple of minutes to firm up before serving. Otherwise let them cool on a rack.
Copyright 2012, The Teahouse & Coffeepot.
www.teahousekc.com | (816) 756-2868 | 4309 Jefferson St, Kansas City, MO 64111
Copyright 2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.