Courtesy of Donnell Chamber
3/4 cup unsalted butter (1-1/2 sticks)
2-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
3 cups of Granny Smith apples diced – about 4 apples
2 tsps. Vanilla extract
4 eggs at room temperature plus 1 egg yolk
1 cup buttermilk
3 cups flour sifted plus 1/4 cup to coat diced apples
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1. Cream butter and sugar together for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs and egg yolk one at a time. Next add applesauce and beat until smooth.
3. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices together.
4. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk beginning and ending with flour.
5. Fold in diced apples coated with ¼ cup flour.
6. Pour batter into three 9-inch round cake pans that have been sprayed with a non-stick baking spray.
7. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven for about 35 minutes until cake tester comes out clean when inserted into cake.
8. Cool for 30 minutes before frosting cake layers.
1 stick unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. applesauce
1 8 oz. block of cream cheese
1 tsp. cinnamon
Make sure butter and cream cheese are at room temperature. Mix all ingredients until smooth. Frost top and sides of cake.
Cinnamon Apple Glaze
Peel and core 1 Granny Smith apple. Cut into thin wedges.
In a medium saucepan mix these ingredients:
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 Tbsps. unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. white corn syrup
2 tsps. heavy whipping cream
Let mixture come to a simmer and then toss in apple wedges.
Remove from heat and add 1 tsp. vanilla extract.
Arrange apple wedges in a decorative pattern on top of cake.
Drizzle glaze over cake
You may want to reserve some glaze to drizzle on cake slice
Copyright 2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.