Police involved in standoff with homicide suspect - KCTV5 News


Standoff suspect accused of killing mom, man at club

Posted: Updated:
Sandra Olivas/KCTV Sandra Olivas/KCTV
Josh Collins/KCTV Josh Collins/KCTV
LaMario Stayton LaMario Stayton

Neighbors were forced to stay out of their homes for three and a half hours Friday because of who police believe was holed up inside an apartment complex.

It took several hours, but negotiators were finally able to convince the suspect wanted in a double homicide to come out peacefully. Some of the suspect's relatives Friday at the scene told KCTV5 that one of the victims he's accused of killing Saturday was his own mother.

There was a big police presence surrounding a home in the area of 61st Street and Farrow Avenue, just north of Leavenworth Road, in Kansas City, KS. About 9:45 a.m., officers got a tip a man wanted for a double homicide from Saturday was hiding there.

"We set up a perimeter, if this person is in there, to capture him. There's no way out," Officer Patrick McCallop with the KCK Police Department said.

About 1:15 p.m., the suspect police were after, 24-year-old LaMario Stayton came out with his hands up.

Stayton's relatives gathered at the command post, waiting to hear the outcome of the standoff.

"Really anything could have happened. It could go either way. My main concern is that he's out and safe. That's it," LaCereshia Strain, Stayton's Godmother, said.

Stayton is accused in the double homicide that happened Saturday at an after-hours party near North 13th Street and Roswell Avenue. Monty Taylor, a bouncer, and Stayton's own mother, Laura Mitchie, were killed when gunfire erupted at the front door for the clubhouse for the motorcycle club, the Egyptian Cobras. Mitchie's mother Bobbi Murray doesn't believe her grandson killed his own mother.

"No, no, no, definitely not," Murray said. "I believe she got killed for him. She stood in front of him when they tried to shoot him."

The family, already mourning the death of one loved one, said they're glad the standoff didn't leave another relative dead. Now, they said, they must wait for the truth to come out.

"They don't know the truth. That's the thing. They don't know the truth. Don't assume. Let the facts come forward - forensics and everything else before we assume he's the one that did the crime," Fern Turner, the suspect's cousin, said.

There was a second person in the house that was also taken into custody for questioning. Stayton has not been charged. He was picked up Friday on a parole violation.

Click here to read about Saturday's double murder.

Copyright 2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.)  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.