Saturday afternoon, firefighters were called to a mill on Water Street, which turned out to be a sub-station for Holyoke Gas and Electric.
Deputy Chief Tim Moran told CBS 3 they believe the oil-based cooling system malfunctioned, causing the oil to overheat, spill and start the fire.
Compared to previous mill fires in Holyoke, Moran said Saturday's was not as bad, but access to the mills is always an issue.
"Access to these buildings is never easy," Moran said. "There are all of these trailer trucks here. This one has our ladder truck right up against it. So it makes it very difficult at times to position the apparatus. But we have a real good department."
The mill is an active sub-station for Holyoke Gas and Electric.
Company officials told CBS 3 that what malfunctioned was the equivalent of an auxiliary pump.
The system is still functional and customers should not be affected.
Copyright 2012 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Friday afternoon, lottery officials confirmed that Saturday night's Powerball drawing has hit an estimated $600 million.More >