Baby eats cocaine found in motel room - KCTV5

Baby eats cocaine found in motel room

Posted: Updated:
The spoon tested positive for cocaine, and Jahmai was rushed to the hospital. The spoon tested positive for cocaine, and Jahmai was rushed to the hospital.
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA (KCTV/CNN) -

An 11-month-old's mother says her son found cocaine under the bed in a Virginia motel and ate it.

Jahmai Portis with his mom in Virginia Beach were to meet his grandparents for the first time.  And since he is teething, he likes to put things in his mouth, like a spoon he found on the floor of the hotel room.

His grandparents noticed first.

"She looked at it, and she is like, 'look at this.' I took it from her the back of the spoon was all burnt up and the top of the spoon with the residue from the cocaine on it," said Jahmai's mother April Portis.

Worried, Jahmai's mother called police.

The spoon tested positive for cocaine, and Jahmai was rushed to the hospital.

He is doing OK now, but the Motel 6 they were staying at has some tough questions to answer.

While they gave a refund for the first night, and moved them to another room, more disturbing items were found including a crack pipe.

The family says they hope police and the health department will look into the matter.

Copyright 2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.)  and CNN. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.