Violence claims lives of 2 Christmas Eve night - KCTV5 News

Violence claims lives of 2 Christmas Eve night

Posted: Updated:
Kenyan Jones Kenyan Jones
Joseph T. Jones Joseph T. Jones

Two were killed by bullets in the waning minutes of Christmas Eve night. And one of the deaths occurred under salacious circumstances.

The shootings were reported a minute apart.

In the first call, officers were dispatched at 11:23 p.m. to 24th Street and Denver Avenue after a man was found in the street, according to Kansas City Police.

Joseph T. Jones, 22, of Kansas City was found dead. Anyone with information about this shooting is asked to call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS.

The second shooting was reported at 11:24 p.m. when residents reported hearing several gunshots.

A man was fatally shot inside an apartment in the 1000 block of East 43rd Street, according to the Kansas City Police Department. Darnell Pearson, 31, died at the scene.

The Jackson County Prosecutor's Office said Kenyan E. Jones, 26, was charged with second-degree murder and armed criminal action. Prosecutors are seeking a $250,000 cash only bond.

Kenyan Jones told police that he had paid to have sex relations with Pearson earlier on Christmas Eve but Jones thought Pearson was a woman, according to court documents. Afterward, Kenyan Jones told police he learned that Pearson was actually a man.

Kenyan Jones said he became angry as a result of the deception and killed Pearson, according to court records.

Witnesses identified Jones as the man who was seen in the area, according to court documents.

Catherine Tronnes was among those who heard the gunshots. She was alarmed by how close the gunfire was to her home.

"We heard a single gunshot, then a pause," she recalled. "Then we heard probably five or six more. We were sitting in the living room and suddenly heard it go off."

She said she regularly saw Pearson and would exchange pleasantries with him.

"He was always quick to say, 'Hello." I never had any problems with him."

Kenyan Jones is accused of using a 9mm-caliber handgun to kill Pearson. Court documents indicated that Kenyan Jones had recorded some of his encounter with Pearson on his cell phone, which investigators recovered.

Kenyan Jones had a history of drug-related offenses, according to court records.

A memorial has sprung up for Pearson in the doorway to the apartment where authorities say Kenyan Jones shot the man. The memorial includes flowers and cards. One framed note says, "You will always be alive to me."

Copyright 2011 KCTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.