Among the key factors used to evaluate the site suggestions:
- Cost of the land and cost of construction on the site.
- Size and shape of the site. (Need 12 to 15 acres.)
- Ease of vehicle and pedestrian public access to the site.
- Visibility of surrounding area for security purposes.
- Possible environmental hazards or contamination.
- Sufficient distance from railroad tracks and major highways. (need to protect crime lab from ground vibrations.)
- The opportunity to serve as a redevelopment anchor for the surrounding area. (There are an estimated 340 jobs provided/maintained by East Patrol Division and an estimated 800 jobs provided and maintained by the crime lab.)