7 KCK SWAT officers say commanders pointed rifles at them - KCTV5

7 KCK SWAT officers say commanders pointed assault rifles at them

Posted: Updated:

Seven KCK tactical officers say they were handcuffed and commanders pointed assault rifles at them following a federal sting, but the police officers say they had done nothing illegal.

Some officers say they had guns pointed at their backs. They say they were paraded through the police headquarters like they were criminals.

The seven officers have notified Wyandotte County's Unified Government that they plan to sue the government, the KCK Police Department, Police Chief Rick Armstrong and others for up to $1 million each.

Officials with the Unified Government and the KCK Police Department declined comment to KCTV5 this week.

Through sources, KCTV5 has learned more details about the January sting that embroiled 10 members of KCK's SWAT Team or SCORE unit, which stands for Selective, Crime, Occurrence Reduction Enforcement.

All 10 officers were arrested, detained and denied counsel, according to sources.

Three members of the unit were indicted last month by a federal grand jury in Wichita. The three are accused of stealing items during raids.

The seven additional officers were not indicted. Four of the seven remain on leave. Three have been allowed to return to work. 

The seven officers claim that they were videotaped without their knowledge at a residence they thought they had legitimate reasons to raid. The FBI set up the sting with the KCK police chief to see if any cash or property was taken.

The officers were crammed in a van going to what they thought was a second house to raid when they realized something was amiss. They were ordered to return to KCK police headquarters.

Once inside the police garage, sources tell KCTV5 that Armstrong and at least 10 commanders met the officers and pointed assault rifles at the tactical officers. The officers were ordered to remove their weapons and were handcuffed. 

Some officers say they were handcuffed with their hands behind their back for hours while wearing 40-pound tactical vests, resulting in shoulder, arm and other injuries.

At least two of the officers say they were forced to drop their pants in the garage, and they were searched.

When no stolen property was found on them, they were still detained for more than 12 hours, the officers say.

Some of the officers claim they were assaulted, had weapons pressed in their back and were repeatedly denied their right to an attorney.

The officers say, even though they did nothing wrong, their reputations are ruined and they have become objects of ridicule and speculation.

"My clients' principal goal is to clear their names and restore their outstanding reputations," said attorney Steve Bukaty, who represents four of the officers.

Bukaty wouldn't discuss the legal notices served on the local government and the pending lawsuit.

"Any law enforcement officer, especially police commanders, would know they have no grounds to arrest these officers. What they did to them violated their legal and constitutional rights," he said.

Click here to read the initial story on about the sting that KCTV5 was the first to report regarding the KCK officers, click here. To read about the indictments against the three officers, click here.

Copyright 2011 KCTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.