KANSAS CITY MISSOURI PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Food Service Manager – Elementary Cafeteria 132
PURPOSE OF JOB: Provide and maintain the production of nutritious school meals for children. Maintain accurate daily records for food production, meal participation, cash collected and inventory.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following.
- Manage and supervise a school cafeteria staff.
- Supervise food production and service to insure that meals served are nutritionally adequate.
- Meet high standards for flavor and appearance, meet and follow all Federal requirements and District directives.
- Provide leadership and training in the professional development of cafeteria personnel.
- Provide leadership in maintaining good working relationships within the cafeteria staff.
- Cooperate with school administrators and staff in management of cafeteria operations and activities.
- Plan student cafeteria activities cooperatively with Food Service Department staff, School site administrator and school staff to assure interaction with students.
- Follow Child Nutrition Services menus and directives in preparing school meals.
- Extend recipes as needed.
- Operate and instruct personnel on proper use of food preparation, utensils and cafeteria equipment.
- Budget resources (time, labor and materials) used in the cafeteria.
- Operate within budget; monitor financial statements and make appropriate adjustments.
- Order appropriate food, supplies and equipment in correct quantities for the cafeteria as scheduled.
- Receive and check all deliveries to school cafeterias.
- Organize and plan work schedules for cafeteria personnel.
- Plan and adjust staff as required.
- Keep attendance records and prepare payroll information.
- Prepare accurate reports; check invoices, statements and submit as scheduled.
- Assume responsibility for timely, efficient and accurate accounting and reporting of cash receipts.
- Maintain accurate perpetual inventory and submit inventory as requested.
- Provide written evaluation of employees once a year and more frequently as needed to improve cafeteria staff job performance.
- Do periodic evaluations of unit operations and meal service.
- Strictly observe, practice and enforce all rules for sanitation and safety.
- Direct and/or assist with cafeteria cleaning duties.
- Handle and adjust to emergency situations.
- Make appropriate decisions relating to operation of the school cafeteria.
- Participate in In-service training programs are required and recommended.
- Other duties as assigned by the director, Child Nutrition Services.
- Follow Federal laws, School Board policies and Child Nutrition Services directives.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: YesREQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school graduate or equivalent with a working knowledge of mathematics.
- Knowledge, training and experience in institutional or quantity cooking and food service management.
- Two years documented successful school food service experience. Management experience desirable.
- Experience in training, supervising and evaluating food service personnel.
- Successful completion of Manager Training classes.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in ordering and storing foods and supplies.
- Good disposition, dependable, cooperative.
- Ability to organize and work harmoniously under pressure.
- Ability to exercise good judgment.
- Good health and appearance.
- Ability to work with administration, staff and students.
- Job requires stooping, bending, walking and standing most of the work day.
- Job requires lifting and handling institutional equipment, pots, pans, packages and cases containing food and supplies.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job requires that the employee be able to: sit, stand, walk, speak, hear, use hands, fingers, reach with hands and fingers; bend, stoop, lift objects of at least ten pounds. Job requires the employee occasionally to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Visual ability requires mono and color vision, close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Length of work year: 202 day schedule
BENEFITS: Retirement Programs, Health and Dental Insurance are provided.
For more information on these positions and more, visit www.kcpublicschools.org. Click on Community, then Career Opportunities.